Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Mean Mommy

Eliza has always been a FANTASTIC sleeper. Bedtime is a breeze. We do have a nightly routine (kisses, book, Glo-Worm and music)but Eliza always goes to bed awake and puts herself to sleep. I am the first to admit that we are so lucky. However, things have been a little tough recently in our house.

Last Saturday, Eliza had to go to the pediatrician because of her ears (both infected). On Friday I had to take the doctor because she was running fever and she was still feeling crummy. I was worried that her ears weren't healing but that was not the problem. Her ears were fine, but her mouth and throat were covered with small white sores caused by rampant yeast due to the antibiotics she was taking for her ears. This condition is called thrush. She is still on multiple medications but she seems to be on the mend. On top of all these ailments, Eliza is also teething. Her back molars are working their way in.

Because of all of these factors, Eliza has not been sleeping well. Last week, she and I spent several nights sleeping in the recliner. She also spent a few nights sleeping with us in our bed. The new routine is, she will go to sleep in her bed but wakes up shortly thereafter and wants to get out of her bed. She fights me when I try to lay her down and she turns on the water works. Since she has always been such a good sleeper, her new sleep tantrums have me worried. I don't want her to think that if she just throws a big enough fit, we will give in to her and let her sleep with us.

Therefore, the past several nights I have been employing some sleep training techniques or what I call "the mean mommy technique". When she wakes up during the night, I go in her room for two minutes to comfort her but I don't take her out of the bed. When my two minutes are up, she usually begins crying and raising her arms up for me to lift her up. Eventhough she is crying, I leave the room and "let her cry it out" for five minutes before I come back in. It breaks my heart to let her cry but I am willing to try this for awhile. Last night she fell asleep before her five minutes ended, so hopefully things will be getting back to normal soon.




2 comments:

  1. Poor Eliza, I hope sleepy time gets better soon.

    You're not a mean mommy.

    I love you guys!

    Mare

    ReplyDelete
  2. Norah has never been a good sleeper. When we finally did some 'training' we would always let her cry for about 5 minutes. Then, I would go in her room, pick her up and comfort her until she stopped and then put her back down. Then she had to cry for at least 5 more minutes before I would go in again. This went on for hours for about 3 nights and then she figured it out. For us, it made it worse for me to go in and talk to her without picking her up. Good luck! I never used to be a fan of CIO, but now I am a believer.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. . . . I really enjoy reading them.

A Peek Into Our World . . . . The Ordinary Happenings of our Extraordinary Family